Sen. Marshall Leads Letter to DHS Demanding Answers on Chinese Nationalists Crossing Through Our Southern Border
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Roger Marshall, M.D. led a letter to Department of Homeland Security Secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas, regarding the 18,000 Chinese nationals that have illegally entered the United States in 2023 through the open southern border. We have no idea who these people are and they have been released into the United States undoubtedly posing a threat to our national security. In Senator Marshall’s letter, he demands Sec. Mayorkas answer for the continued oversight at the DHS that has allowed the CCP and others to exploit our nation’s borders. Senator Marshall is joined in his letter by Senators Braun (R-IN), Ricketts (R-NE), Rubio (R-FL), and Tillis (R-NC).
Highlights from the letter include:
“We write to you with concern that over 18,000 Chinese nationals have illegally crossed the southern border in Fiscal Year 2023, with some of these individuals having ties to the CCP’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA). July set the record for nationwide encounters with Chinese nationals with just over 6,100. 94.8 percent of Chinese national encounters in FY23 have been single adults. This trend poses a significant threat to our national security and warrants immediate attention and action from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).”
“Furthermore, it is our understanding that not a single one of these individuals encountered has been detained for any length of time but rather benefitted from this administration’s policy of catch and release.”
“Equally concerning, Chinese nationals crossing the border may include individuals who could engage in espionage activities or cyber-attacks against our critical infrastructure, government agencies, or private sector entities. There have been numerous documented instances of Chinese nationals, at the direction of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), engaging in espionage, stealing military and economic secrets.”
Senator Marshall’s questions for Secretary Mayorkas are as follows:
How does Customs and Border Protection identify the nationality of those from China and whether or not they have ties to the CCP or PLA?
· What occurs when an individual is found to have ties to the CCP or PLA?
· How many individuals identified as Chinese nationals have been found to be in possession of illegal drugs?
· Has CBP identified any instances of Chinese nationals apprehended at the border being suspected of intending to engage in foreign espionage?
· Has CBP identified any Chinese nationals apprehended at the border who are on the Terrorist Screening Database?
· Where have Chinese nationals apprehended at the border been released into the United States?
· How does DHS determine where to release these individuals?
· How many Chinese nationals has the department released into the U.S.?
· How does DHS monitor those nationals released into the country?
· How many Chinese nationals have been removed to China each year for the last five years?
· How many Chinese nationals has China refused to accept?
· What actions have you taken to address this growing threat, including talks or negotiations with China and Mexico?
You may click HERE to read the full letter to Sec. Mayorkas.