Marshall, Moran, LaTurner Applaud Independence Area Public Library, Finalist for National Medal for Museum and Library Service
(Washington, D.C., April 12, 2022) – U.S. Senators Roger Marshall, M.D. and Jerry Moran, alongside U.S. Representative Jake LaTurner (KS-02) applauded the recent announcement of Independence Public Library being named a top 30 finalist for the National Medal for Museum and Library Service.
“The Independence Area Public Library has gone above and beyond over the last two years in service to the community,” said Senator Marshall. “I’m proud of the staff’s commitment to inspire fellow Kansans to adopt a love for literature and am pleased to see their hard work being recognized by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.”
“Libraries like the one in Independence provide a place for boys and girls from rural Kansas to learn and explore the world right from their hometown,” said Senator Moran. “This award is a testament to the dedication and hard work of the librarians and staff theat the Independence Area Public Library. Thank you for providing invaluable resources to your community and for helping shape the minds of the young and old alike.”
“The Independence Public Library has proudly served the people of Montgomery County for over 100 years and is well-deserving of this recognition,” said Representative LaTurner. “Being named a finalist for the National Medal for Museum and Library Service is a testament to the library staff’s dedication and commitment to our community these past two years. It’s an honor to represent the Independence community in Congress, and I want to congratulate the library on this outstanding accomplishment.”
The National Medal is the nation’s highest honor given to museums and libraries that demonstrate excellence in service to their communities. Since 1996, the award has honored 176 institutions that demonstrated extraordinary and innovative approaches to public service.
- Amistad Research Center (New Orleans, LA)
- Central Arkansas Library System (Little Rock, AR)
- Copper Queen Library (Bisbee, AZ)
- Dearborn Heights Libraries (Dearborn Heights, MI)
- Glendale Library, Arts & Culture (Glendale, CA)
- High Point Public Library (High Point, NC)
- Independence Area Public Library (Independence, KS)
- Kuskokwim Consortium Library (Bethel, AK)
- Miami-Dade Public Library System (Miami, FL)
- Neuse Regional Libraries (Kinston, NC)
- Perkins Library (Watertown, MA)
- Pflugerville Public Library (Pflugerville, TX)
- St. Louis County Library (St. Louis, MO)
- West Warwick Public Library (West Warwick, RI)
- Wilmington Institute Free Library (Wilmington, DE)
National Medal winners will be announced the first week of June, and a national ceremony and celebration will be held in July.