Sen. Marshall Announces Kansans Offered Appointments at U.S. Military Service Academies
(Wichita, KS, June 3, 2022) — After receiving nominations from the Office of U.S. Senator Roger Marshall, M.D., a dozen Kansas high school seniors have been offered appointments to attend one of the U.S. Military Service Academies.
“As a U.S. Senator, one of my greatest honors is helping students realize their dreams of serving in the U.S. Military,” said Senator Marshall. “All of these young men and women have outstanding resumes and impressive professional goals. As a veteran myself, I applaud their desire to give their time and talents to lead and serve our great nation.”
These Kansans were nominated by Senator Marshall and received academy appointments:
- Abbie Lester, Andover, U.S. Naval Academy
- Benjamin Vorthmann, Lawrence, U.S. Military Academy
- Charles Cahalan, Overland Park, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Colt Thomas, Prairie Village, U.S. Military Academy
- David Drake, Leavenworth, U.S. Naval Academy
- Ian Clark, Wamego, U.S. Naval Academy
- Jennifer Chhim, Derby, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- John Whitman, Russell, U.S. Air Force Academy
- Kaelin Hill, Olathe, U.S. Naval Academy
- Michael Chong, Leawood, U.S. Naval Academy
- Trevor Hopkins, Wichita, U.S. Naval Academy
- Tyler Engstrom, Junction City, U.S. Military Academy
You may click HERE or on the photo below to view headshots of the nominees.
The following panelists helped conduct interviews of eligible students: Jeremy O’Donnell, Garrison Executive Officer for Fort Riley, residing in Manhattan; Janet Nichols, of Manhattan; Robert Laubengayer, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy graduate currently residing in Ellsworth; Seth Kastle, Army veteran currently residing in Wakeeney; Scott Weaver, U.S. Military Academy graduate currently residing in Westwood; and Brian Gordon, U.S. Military Academy graduate currently residing in Overland, Park.
In 2021, the office of U.S. Senator Roger Marshall, M.D. received 80 applications from Kansas high school students and nominated 30 students to at least one military service academy. The office conducts interviews with qualified applicants each fall. To be accepted to a military service academy, students must receive a nomination from the Office of a Member of Congress or the Office of the President of the United States. Students can apply for an appointment from Senator Marshall online at Marshall.Senate.Gov.
Senator Marshall is proud to nominate qualified candidates from Kansas for our nation’s Military Service Academies. Each applicant must complete a thorough application and selection process, ensuring that the most qualified candidates are nominated to lead our service men and women. Students can apply for a nomination from Senator Marshall online at https://www.marshall.senate.gov/services/academies/.
Candidates who wish to apply for a nomination from Senator Marshall must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 17 years of age, but not older than 23 by July 1 of the year of admission
- Be a United States Citizen
- Be a Kansas Resident
- Be unmarried and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents
Applying for a Nomination
As a student interested in attending one of the Service Academies, there are a few things you must do:
- Contact the Academy directly to open a pre-candidate file.
- Download the nomination application for Senator Marshall’s office. The following items will be required:
3 Letters of Recommendation
Official High School Transcript and College Transcripts (if applicable)
Official ACT or SAT Scores
- Email your completed application to Tyler_Mason@marshall.senate.gov OR mail a hard copy to the following address: Senator Roger Marshall, M.D. Attn: Academy Nominations, 204 South Santa Fe, Suite 1, Salina, KS 67401
In order to be considered for a nomination, all candidates must submit these materials by 5:00pm on September 1st, 2022. Please note this is NOT a postmark deadline, all application materials must arrive to the Salina office by September 1, 2022.
Please note: there are no congressional nominations to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. To obtain information or an application, contact them directly.
If you have any questions please contact Tyler Mason at 785-829-9000 or email Tyler_Mason@marshall.senate.gov.